The Theosophical Society (Jamshed Memorial Hall)

Located on M.A Jinnah Road, the Theosophical Society’s main auditorium was named after Jamshed Nusserwanjee, the philanthropist and humanitarian who was Karachi’s first mayor, popularly known as “The Builder of Modern Karachi”. The Jamshed Memorial Hall was renovated in the 1950s, but it is only one aspect of the building that housed the Karachi branch of the Theosophical Society, founded in 1896, which now consists of a Montessori school, a lecture room, and two libraries, one of which is amongst the city’s oldest. The Theosophical Society remains a bastion of tolerance and theological-philosophical reflection in Karachi, as seen in the key tenets of the Society: “to form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood, without distinction of race or colour; to encourage the study of comparative religion, philosophy and science; and to investigate unexplained laws of nature.”

1 / 13
2 / 13
3 / 13
4 / 13
5 / 13
6 / 13
7 / 13
8 / 13
9 / 13
10 / 13
11 / 13
12 / 13
13 / 13

Participating Artists: